I am registered with the Scottish Book Trust Live Literature scheme. It pays the author’s fee (£175 per session), travel and accommodation expenses directly to the author after the event. You just pay a pre-set cost after the event of £75 per session (£90 inc. VAT). A session lasts for 1 hour.
This way of funding means you get a great visit for half the price.
Book signings enable children to meet an author and get a memento of the visit. As a former Deputy Headteacher, I am aware not every child can afford a book. It may help to ask your local library to stock copies before my visit.
Occasionally a school may not wish to sell books. I receive a visit fee, so it’s up to individual schools to decide whether they are comfortable with a signing session.
Signing books at the end of the session:
• Please provide a letter or email confirming the age groups present, number of children attending, contact details of school, name of organiser.
• Please tell parents well in advance - via the school newsletter & a class letter home - that a book signing will be happening in school as part of my visit. My publisher may provide a helpful leaflet. It really helps if you text parents/carers the day before too.
• I will arrange books to be present for the children to purchase. I will usually bring them myself (or occasionally arrange a local bookshop or my publisher to post them to the school advance of my visit).
• Why not download FREE PRE-VISIT RESOURCES based on my Tartan Cat books? Click HERE
• You may wish to collect in money for books before my visit. My handy PRE-VISIT ORDER FORM logs the books children have chosen and any money brought into school. Download it here:
• Please have an area/table where I can display my books. Plus an adult-sized chair available for me.
• Please have a member of staff available to help during the signing, e.g., ensure children have their names written on paper slips so the queue can flow smoothly.
• Ensure children have the correct money to hand over. (If priced £5.99 I can either give back 1p change or donate surplus pennies to charity.
If you like what you have read and wish to book me, or have any questions, then please use the contact page. Here’s the link to it again:
Please feel free to snap away. If any good ones are taken, please let me have a copy. I may put them on my website.
Prior permission to record is required. So much stuff goes on the web these days and I wish to retain an element of control, regarding video and audio recordings.